Wednesday, January 21, 2015

How I contributed to English language! :-p

I was giving communication skills training in my organisation, not as a part of my JD, but as a hobby. Not that I’m perfect in English, it’s just that I can differentiate between “didn’t know and didn’t knew”. My plant is located in a tiny town, 72 km from Delhi. One of my colleague and friend came to me and said “ma’am aap communication class start kar do” (“ma’am give us communication training”) and I thought to myself “wtf, Gaurav would have died laughing if he was around”. He is someone who once said “Tu beta angrezi bolna chord de, poore time uska rape karti rehti hai” (“Stop talking in English, you molest the language”).

I was reluctant at first but then my friends, later students, gave me a lot of confidence. For training them, I needed to prepare myself. That preparation taught me a lot, filled the gaps I had, and I overcame a fear of speaking in public. I never taught English, it was always way of communicating and correct grammar.

What I remember from my MBA classes is what we learnt through activities, and I wanted to use the same trick with my training sessions, so I kept 80% of them activity oriented. It was fun to see aged people acting and singing and dancing, and I could tell from their look that they enjoyed it too, felt younger and had more life in them than I had ever noticed before.

We did one activity where I made them write a letter to themselves 5 to 10 years later, where they would question themselves if they have reached their goals. Once we grow up, no one asks about our goals or ambitions, this letter made them rack their brains and think of what they want to do in their coming years. I had to show them the letter I wrote to 30 years old me, which was kinda funny, everyone laughed, but then they were lost in their thoughts. People asked about themselves about kids, and cars, and houses, etc. I gave them an envelop each, to put the letter in and asked them to open it on their X birthday, X being the age they wrote the letter to. Everyone does their work so monotonously that they forget what they are missing in life or what more do they want from their lives. They have a standard mugged up answer to the interview question “where do you see yourself 5/10 years from now”.

On the same lines we also did New Year eve’s plans and resolutions for the next year. Every single person wrote “I want to be a better person”, wow, do you think that you are bad now? I made all of them change it to something more practical and non vague.

For our Christmas class, I decided to wear red coat and a Santa hat. Hahaha nobody expected their trainer to get dressed like that in a corporate world. I made them pick chits with random words on it and they had to do a role play. Along with chits were chocolates for them, another surprise. This was one fun class.
  

I have seen drastic improvements in the way people now introduce themselves, talk on the phone, converse, and use their body language, and it feels amazing. One thing I didn’t get as a student was special attention coz I was an average grader, and so I knew that I had to help my weak students first, and it did happen. I am proud of those whom I had very little hopes from, after our first session. They worked harder than the good ones and their determination showed.

The training has got over and I kinda miss those 3 days every week… I thank them for keeping their patience... I hope they do well in life, and remember me when they see wrong grammar… :D

No comments: